HOPE not hate has exposed Susan Hall’s hateful social media conduct, including liking posts about Enoch Powell.
The Conservative Party’s pick for London Mayor’s social media conduct on X/Twitter includes endorsing Enoch Powell, Islamophobic tropes about Sadiq Khan, disdain for the press and supporting the myth that the 2020 American election was stolen from Donald Trump.
HOPE not hate has written to Greg Hands, Chairman of the Conservative Party, to suspend Susan Hall and investigate.
Susan Hall’s social media conduct includes:
- Liking a tweet saying ‘It’s never too late to get London Back !’. The picture is an image of Enoch Powell with the quote “It’s never too late to save your country”. This is not a quote from Enoch Powell, rather a slogan that was once on the BNP website.
- Liking a tweet from a user suggesting Enoch Powell should have been Prime Minister, saying they’d like Enoch Powell to be an addition to a pack of Prime Minister playing cards.
- Quote-tweeted an article from the notorious right-wing misinformation site The Gateway Pundit alleging a conspiracy to steal the 2020 US presidential election from Trump.
- Replying to a tweet from Katie Hopkins calling Sadiq Khan “our nipple height mayor of Londonistan” with the endorsement “Thank you Katie!”. Katie Hopkins is a far-right provocateur and “Londonistan” is the term used to convey the idea that Muslims are taking over London.
- Liking a reply to a tweet about Sadiq Khan’s VAWG strategy that said “Well said Susan, that Labour Traitor RAT Likes that sort of thing” – being female genital mutilation and violence against women and girls. This is racially charged implying that Muslims support FGM and violence.
- Liking a tweet saying that Sadiq is “begging for londoners to do a tower hamlets postal vote for May next year and we all know how that works. #fraud”. This is accusing Sadiq Khan of electoral corruption and promotes the idea that Muslims in electoral politics subvert democratic principles.
- Liking a tweet saying that Sky’s Matthew Thompson, then at LBC, is a “virus”.
- Liking a tweet calling Sky’s Sam Coates an “ugly mouthed journalist” and part of the “#ScumMedia”.
- Liking a tweet saying that Sky’s Beth Rigby has a “sickly deep voice” and that “She shouldn’t be anywhere near my TV.
Georgie Laming, Director of Campaigns at HOPE not hate said:
“The Conservative Party is putting up a candidate who has shown her endorsement of Enoch Powell. Susan Hall is not fit to represent London and all its diversity.”
“Susan Hall must be suspended immediately and ultimately, she must be removed as a candidate.”
- HOPE not hate has raised the conduct of at least 75 Conservative Party figures – members, candidates, councillors and MPs – since 2019.
- In 2020, HOPE not hate polled Conservative Party members to understand their views and found widespread suspicion, prejudice and hostility towards Muslims.
Notes to editors:
- HOPE not hate is the UK’s leading anti-fascist campaign group monitoring and campaigning against the far right.
- Spokespeople from HOPE not hate are available for further comments and broadcast interviews.
- HOPE not hate has exposed racism and islamophobia in the Conservative Party and amongst its elected officials.
hopenothate.org.uk | @hopenothate | [email protected] | 0207 952 1183
HOPE not hate builds hope and counters the politics of hate through research, campaigning and community engagement. We focus on the organised far-right, the communities who are susceptible to them and the issues and policies which give rise to them.